Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ode to the blender

Sanity comes in many forms. For me one of the main forms it comes in, after a few things like my religion, husband and kids, is my blender. Yea, that sounds weird but it's true. When you really haven't had ANY fresh fruits or veggies for over a year and a half and it seems like all you eat is potatoes and meat then the world starts to look a little weird. Eliminating all fiber from your diet is kinda hard especially for a dancer. But when you have to do it so you don't end up in the hospital on your death bed again, you do it, and all sanity leaves with it as you soon crave eating anything with any amount of fiber. Just biting into an apple like a normal person starts to sound like more than heaven. Captain Barbossa has nothing on a pregnant woman that is craving fresh fruits and veggies and can't eat them.
So almost 6 months ago we got a new member to our little family and I'm introducing it today. Here it is making one of our favorites. A little bit of everything fruit drink. I don't know that you can really see what's in it because I started to add the liquid at this point before I thought about how hard it would be to see. So just trust me that there is a large handful of grapes, small orange, 3 plums, frozen pineapple (including the center), frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, frozen cherries, spinach, and I think peach. I then add liquid, usually some juice, to the amount of fruit (if you don't then it ends up pretty thick and actually ends up more like a sorbet with this amount of frozen things in it). Then turn it on and let it go for about 30-60 seconds and you get this.

Yummy fresh fruit in a drink! As Sam likes to call it. Yummy Drinks! Boy do I agree with him! It's the only way I get anything "healthy" these days and although it's not the same as biting into the apple it's pretty good. We do all sorts of variations, some more tropical or less variety of fruits but they all have one thing in common... I've had more fruit in the last 6 months than I had in over a year and a half after Sam was born.

Coming soon... Our favorite soups hot out of and ice cream cold out of the blender.